Sunday, February 5, 2012

Freezing and Blending In


So did you know that it's currently around 25 degrees here in Paris? Its COLD! Well, the weather can be compared to Chicago weather but I was not prepared. I was hoping to get away from frigid Chi Town cold but nope, it followed me to Paris. The thing is, I do not have my big jackets or nice warm boots so I freeze. But I guess I am better prepared then my flatmate Natalie who is from sunny Cali and actually had to buy winter clothes before coming here. In the past few days I have bought a few things here in Paris. I took advantage of the soldés (sales) purchased a very large scarf that can probably double as a dress and some cute headbands. I also bought boots which I love but, I did not realize that I grabbed shoes that were not really a pair. They are size 37 and size 39. Now I have to go back and try to explain in French my little problem.

So, there have been more typical touristy things going on recently. Today we went to the cutest and yummiest macaroon place, Laudrée right on the Champs Elysées. Took us a while but we finally made it to that landmark of pastries. We also walked by the Lourve today, I must say, that whole area is gorgeous. Filled with English speakers but still great. Oh and also, I have found that so many people speak Spanish here! I think I find myself speaking more Spanish than French. Which is an error on my behalf because I do not need to practice my Spanish, its the French that I need to improve.

Sorries, a little blurry. But, c'est Laudrée
Last night Megan, her roommate Norma, and I went to a bar called Violon Dingue. It is an American bar with happy hour until 22h and at 12 they open the cave section! Yes, there is a legit cave that is a bar and there is no cover for girls! How fantastic is that? Even better is that they always play old school American Music! I def remember jamming out to Jump Around by House of Pain. The bad thing about Parisian bars however is that they are crazy expensive. There are always long lists of drink but prices are way higher than in the states. However, do a little flirting with the bartenders (or any guy for that matter) and they buy you free drinks! Apparently, luring a guy in France is not very difficult. All you need is a little eye contact and a smile. Which by the way, I believe I have accidentally perfected. On various occasions I have found myself being talked at by bums. Apparently I tend to smile a lot and make eye contact, so I ended up luring these  half drunk men. Yeah, need to smile less and be a true Parisian. Note to self, look mad more often.

The Flat has definitely become our little home. After walks in the cold we all come rushing in the door and it actually feels good to be "home." The girls and I prepare "gourmet" dinners, watch movies, make extensive travel plans, and just lounge around in the apartment. The big but is that our heating does not work very well, so the apt is pretty cold. We need layers to wear inside, have put towels at the door to stop the draft from coming in and we even close the kitchen door because it is the coldest part of the house. Yet, I can finally say that I have my own apartment, how cool is that? And I did not start off badly, my first apartment is in Paris, not bad not bad. I've come to realize that choosing an apartment over a home stay was the right choice; I get to come home late, have guests, play music, there is no awkwardness or feeling like you are an inconvenience. Last night, after the bar, I crashed Meg's room because I did not want to take a taxi back alone. So we get to her apartment and we get yelled at by here mother! She is not really allowed to have guests and especially not loud ones at 3am.  Here at the apartment, nobody minds.

Tomorrow will be great! The day will consist of a large lunch (so we don't get too hungry and have to spend more money, we are poor college students remember?) the Lourve and finally around midnight we will be heading to the Moose, a Canadian bar to watch the Superbowl. Yep sounds really French right?

It Snowed Last Night!

Gourmet Cooking 



On our visit to l'arc de triomphe it was FREEZING!


ok so random tidbits
1. I have a cell now
2. It snowed yesterday
3. I kinda want to start school already
4. I have adjusted to the time  '
5. I bought tickets to go see Tune         Yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not today, but yes I <3 Paris



No comments:

Post a Comment